Cefpodoxime Proxetil is an orally administered extended spectrum, semi-synthetic 3rd generation antibiotic of cephalosporin class. Like other β-lactam antibiotics it is a bactericidal drug that acts by inhibition of bacterial cell wall synthesis.
Cefpodoxime is indicated for the treatment of patients infected with susceptible strains of micro-organisms which include a wide range of gram-positive & gram-negative bacteria.
(1) Lower respiratory tract infection: Acute community-acquired pneumonia, Acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis;
(2) Upper respiratory tract infection: Acute otitis media, Acute maxillary sinusitis, Pharyngitis, Tonsillitis;
(3) Sexually transmitted diseases: Acute uncomplicated urethral & cervical gonorrhea, Acute ano-rectal infection in woman caused by N. gonorrhoeae;
(4) Uncomplicated urinary tract infection: Cystitis, Pyuria;
(5) Skin & soft tissue infections: Furuncle, Cellulitis, Subcutaneous abscess, infectious atheroma & periproctal abscess
(6) Enteric fever.
Use susp. <2 months: not recommended.
2 months–12yrs: Acute otitis media: 5mg/kg (max 200mg) every 12hrs for 5 days.
Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 5mg/kg (max 100mg) every 12hrs for 5–10 days.
Sinusitis: 5mg/kg (max 200mg) every 12hrs for 10 days.
Dry Syrup: Bottle of 30ml, 50mg/5ml